Sunday, April 7, 2013

Last _____.

As I have been pondering what to write about this week, I have been at a bit of a loss.  Not because there haven’t been plenty of things happening, but because I remember talking about them in past years.  I remember writing a post about the English Club Tea Party, and another about capture the flag during Greek Week, which is tomorrow.  So why would I write them again?  Isn’t it the same old, same old?

Nope, because I have entered the dreaded season of lasts.  Here are just a few of the lasts that I’ve been noticing:

Last…English Club Tea Party.  I remember going to my first one at the home of Dr. Patricia Cleary Miller, English professor and poetess extraordinaire, and being intimidated by the entire English faculty as well has the abundance of authentic Chinese décor.  This time I was cracking jokes with the department chair and leading a group into the living room to sit by the mummified ibis (yeah, she has one of those).

The legendary mummified ibis
 
Last…Greek Week.  Tomorrow I will get up at 5:00 am for the last time for capture the flag (okay, I can live without the 5:00 thing in the future).  I’m hoping we win this last one just like the first three…GO ASA!!

Last…First Fridays…sort of.  I went to First Fridays down in the Crossroads art district, an event I have been attending faithfully since October of freshman year.  I can remember vividly what I wore to that first First Fridays, the galleries we went to, who I went with, and how I felt.  This time wasn’t technically my last First Friday, because on the First Friday in May, I will be curating my own show downtown.  If someone had gone back to that girl I was freshman year in her yellow jacket and new/old thrift store shoes (gotta look the part when you’re at First Fridays), and told her/me that she would be attending her last First Fridays as a curator, she’d have dropped dead. 
 
In a month this space will be full of people coming to see the show of Rockhurst student art I am curating!

Last…edition of the Rockhurst Review.  After a week of minor mishaps and a lot of editing, I think my beloved literary journal is ready to hit the presses.  Again, when I was honored to be on the staff as a little assistant reader freshman year, I never would have believed I’d someday be the one to say “looks great, Covington Press, go ahead and print us up 70 copies.” 

These events aren’t just one more in a string of things I’ve been doing since freshman year, they are a measuring stick for the ways I’ve grown and the new opportunities I’ve gotten.  And while I’m sad that there are so many lasts, it makes me kind of excited to wonder what things I will have done four years from now that I never would have thought of.  New York Times anyone?  MoMA exhibitions?  Who knows…

No comments:

Post a Comment