Monday, April 1, 2013

How to Fundraise With a Goldfish-Eating Panda Behind You
 

Nothing says “please park here” like a panda eating a goldfish painted on the wall of your lot. 

That was one of the thoughts going through my head as we watched the lot next to us fill up with basketball fans (and their $20 bills) looking for March Madness Parking.  Other thoughts included, “we will never raise enough money for our art show,” “my toes are freezing,” and “how do we steal their neon signs.”  The answer to most of my problems pulled up in a PT Cruiser a few minutes later.

I had been sitting in a parking lot in front of my art professor’s studio for a half hour with another student, Ray, trying to raise money for the art show we will hopefully be holding at our professor’s studio on April 26th.  The place is a little…unfinished…so we need money to build some moveable walls and fix up the lighting.  If we can accomplish all of this, I will be curating a show of Rockhurst students’ art downtown in the Crossroads art district from April 26th through First Fridays, a favorite event of Kansas City art lovers during which all of the galleries downtown throw open their doors for a night.  Needless to say, I would love for us to be one of those galleries throwing open our doors to the art appreciators of Kansas City. 

The problem with art students is, they don’t really know much about fundraising.  You would think that in a room full of incredibly artistic individuals, you would be able to find one person who could produce a decent poster saying something to the effect of “$20 Parking.”  Wrong.  After zero volunteers, followed by a comparison of who had more calligraphy experience (Literally.  The winner said, “let me just go get my calligraphy pen out of my bag and I’ll get started!”  Seriously, art students), I had a poster that was in flawless, flowing script, but didn’t exactly emphasize the “$20 Parking” part.  So that and the goldfish-eating panda were a few reasons why Ray and I were pretty excited when our friend and fellow art student Zack pulled up and got down to fundraising business. 

The lot next to us was almost full, but don’t worry—they had ANOTHER lot on the other side of ours just waiting to be filled.  Not if Zack had anything to do with it.  He peeled the sign off of our pathetic little stand and as our fundraising neighbors directed cars to “the lot right down the road, same price!” Zack stalked up and down the sidewalk practically shoving our calligraphy sign through the windows of the passing cars.

“Oh, this lot?  Same price?  Great, thanks!”  Got ‘em.  They were literally thanking us for the parking as they handed us their money. 

Our lot filled up within 10 minutes of Zack’s arrival and we are $200 closer to Rockhurst’s debut on the Kansas City art scene.  Now if only a little bit of calligraphy and a parking lot angel in a PT Cruiser could help me with the planning of the art show, the installing, the essay I have to write…
 
 
Zack, Ray, and I--Triumphant.

No comments:

Post a Comment