Thursday, February 14, 2013

Sandwich-Eating Philanthropist

            Freshman year, you are working with monopoly money.  You’ve got your swipe card and it’ll get you three square meals a day, plus all of the midnight Planet Sub runs for ice cream and chips that your little heart could possibly desire.  In the case of most freshman girls (the guys tend to eat a little more), you always end up with leftover meal points at the end of the semester, so you never worry about budgeting your meals or anything like that.

            Senior year is a little different.  Granted, since I live on campus I am lucky enough to have a half meal plan, which comes in handy when it’s noon on a Saturday and I’m too lazy to make your own breakfast, but just motivated enough to haul myself and whatever roommate happens to be awake to the cafeteria in sweatpants for some biscuits and gravy.  But I pay for the rest of my groceries, and it turns out that pop tarts, hot pockets, and other luxuries from home are not exactly in a college student’s budget.

            Bottom line: Freshman year you joke about wanting free food…senior year, you decide you need free food.  Enter Saturday night auctions.  I found out about these auctions through my sorority’s philanthropy chair, who passes along volunteering opportunities to the chapter every week.  It turns out that if you volunteer at an auction, there is a high likelihood of free food being involved—in most cases, sandwiches, cookies, and all sorts of easy to serve goodies, plus sometimes fancy treats leftover from the actual auction food.  So the running joke in my house is that I have been spending my Saturday nights volunteering at auctions so I can enjoy free and delicious dinners every weekend. 

            I’d be lying if I said the free sandwiches weren’t a nice bonus, but I really like working the auctions.  In addition to all of the typical good volunteering feelings, it is an interesting people watching experience.  The last two auctions I’ve helped with have been at the Starlight Theater and the Marriott downtown, which are both beautiful places as is, but it is even cooler to see them transformed into a “Bayou Bash” for a school for children with disabilities, or an “Art for the Children” benefit for medical missions in Africa.  People come in their beautiful dresses and dapper tuxes, and the tables are set with elaborate lamps and centerpieces, with crème brulee waiting in the wings. 

            Even if I’m not actually a medical mission doctor or someone at the auction, it still feels like stepping into a different world than a college cafeteria for a few hours.  It makes me wonder if someday I will be in a position to be this generous, and it makes me grateful for the people in Kansas City who can afford to give financially to the causes that I can usually only give time to.

            So am I trolling for sandwiches?  Yes.  But I am doing some sort of festive wonderland.  And I like to think that even if I’m eating cheap cookies instead of crème brulee, I’m still a bit of a philanthropist for a night. 

 
Table Decoartions for the Bayou Bash for Horizon Academy
 
 
 
 
Group of Alpha Sigma Alphas helping out at the Art for the Children Auction at the Marriott

No comments:

Post a Comment