Monday, November 21, 2011

Lost Causes

            St. Jude is probably the saint I pray to the most, because he is the patron saint of lost causes.  Every time I lose something, I say a prayer to St. Anthony to find it, and St. Jude for my hopeless memory.  Unfortunately, I didn’t think to pray to St. Jude about my bet. 
I mentioned in a previous post that I had a bet going with my roommate that involved no fast food and no eating past 10:00.  But who thinks about fast food at 9:00 am?  Not me, which is why I didn’t realize the McDonalds hash brown I ate with a visiting friend before I left town counted as fast food until after I ate it.  Figures.  If I had known I was going to lose, I would have at least gone for something better than a hash brown.  My consequence involved not eating after 8:00 pm for a whole weekend and—the reason I’m telling this story—admitting to my adoring public that I lost the bet.  That was a point my roommate particularly insisted on, so there it is, I’m a slight lost cause when it comes to remembering the bet. 
However, as the picture shows, clearly I have had some recent (and unusual) experience with fast food.  Sam and I decided that it would be a good idea to take a holiday break to get some Taco Bell and Burger King on Halloween…which actually didn’t happen until the next night, so it was more like an All Saints Day fast food celebration.  Right around midnight.  This pretty much meant that our homework was a lost cause (St. Jude, a little help with that Art and Literature presentation would be nice…).  Since this was the case, we figured we would go all out with our night of taking a break, which meant watching an episode of Grey’s Anatomy, our favorite show of the moment.  Unfortunately, all our roommates were asleep or about to go to sleep in various locations around the house, so we needed a place to go that had access to an outlet and was far enough away from them not to wake them up.  One of our favorite scenes in Grey’s Anatomy involves Meredith and Christina (the two main characters) sitting fully clothed in the bathtub and on the bathroom floor talking about life.  Sam and I have always joked about doing this, which is how we ended up in a bathtub in the middle of the night eating fast food.  Sometimes you just have to give up of being a mature, productive college student as a lost cause for a night (but not every night!), and embrace the wonderful, stress-relieving feeling of doing something totally ridiculous.  St. Jude, we might be lost causes every now and then, but we celebrated your day in style. 


           

No comments:

Post a Comment